• Work by passing a current through a tube filled with argon gas and mercury.
• Bulb life is very long - 10,000 to 20,000 hours.
• Fluorescent bulbs are also very efficient, producing very little heat.
• Fluorescent bulbs are ideal for lighting large areas where little detail work will be done (e.g. basements, storage lockers, etc.).
• With the new type bulbs, and style of fixtures coming out, fluorescents can be used in most places around the home.
• Most fluorescent bulb cannot be used with dimmers.
• Note that fluorescent bulbs need components called ballasts to provide the right amount of voltage.